Thursday, September 6, 2007

False bottom

I created this blog to track the ineptness of the Orioles over the course of a season. I thought it would be funny, to laugh at the team as a way to comfort myself from the losing that continues year after year.

Never did I realize that it would be this painful.

I originally tried to post after each game, but before I knew it, days and weeks passed by before I could find the words to express my feelings about this team. Even the most minor things, like doing laundry, became more exciting than watching this team night after night and then writing about them.

And just when you thought that they couldn't sink any worse, the bottom fell out again and the O's invented a new low.

In fact, two more new lows have occurred since my last post, only a week ago.

1. Clay Buchholz, a rookie pitcher for the Red Sox who was making his second major league start, threw a no-hitter against the Orioles last Saturday.

2. After being swept by the Devil Rays at home last week, the Orioles dropped 2 out of 3 to the Rays in Tampa this week, including a 17-2 embarrassment that included an 8-run inning that seems to be becoming a normal thing in Baltimore.

When will the bleeding stop?

Trembley was supposed to be the savior of the team. He knew how to get the most out of his players. But since he was officially announced as the 2008 manager, his Orioles have won a grand total of 2 games, losing 13, all while looking completely lifeless.

Still think the Orioles made the right decision?

I'm not saying that Trembley isn't a good manager, or the right manager for the Orioles. I do, however, believe the Orioles were too aggressive in extending him when they should have waited until the end of the season. After all, we know how the Orioles like to finish their seasons.

And isn't that just like the Orioles, to be aggressive when they should wait and then wait when they should be aggressive.

In the front office, Andy MacPhail has his work cut out for him this offseason. Tejada, Roberts, Bedard and others, including all of the dead weight, need to be traded or released. Tejada, Roberts and Bedard alone can bring back 7-9 prospects who would instantly be among the best in the farm system, and contribute in the major leagues right away.

Other than Markakis, who I would even shop in a trade, I can't think of a player who should or deserves to be back next season.

And so it goes with the Baltimore Orioles.

It's just getting hard to find the words to write about them.

No comments: